Friday, February 5, 2016

Mexico

One inch color study of the Maldives.
This past September, my sister got married in Saltillo, Mexico.  Unfortunately, I had no time to stop and paint there.  But I was really happy to see lots of family and it was also Jenny and Santi's first time in Mexico.  This is a small color study of one of their honeymoon pictures in the Maldives.


The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption - Oaxaca, Mex. - Gouache
Shortly after my older sister's wedding in Saltillo, we found ourselves in Oaxaca, Mexico for one of my other sister's weeding.  This time allowed for some art making.  This the church where the wedding ceremony happened.

Gouache
View from a hotel rooftop.

Side door into the cathedral - watercolor
I was sitting down early in the morning with this little sketch and was approached by two people with guitars in hand, strumming along.  They proceeded to share their sketchbook pages and I mine.  They gave me a cd of theirs and went on their way.  After finishing the sketch I found them in a little coffee shop, where they proceeded to play me a little tune.  I was blown away.  Turns out they are from the west coast and had just played their last gig on a Mexican tour.  Check em out: http://www.nathanandjessie.com


Pen and watercolor
We rented in a car in order to get out of Oaxaca City and found the changing nature around incredible.  From ancient Aztec ruins (Monte Alban and Yagul), cacti, sulfuric waterfalls (Hierve el Agua), to cold, misty mountain forests with piney trees and large agaves.  Such contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment