Sunday, May 15, 2016

Commission

Oil studies on paper for a commission
Commissions!  how I love thee.  I was asked by a friend to paint a symbol with a lot of personal meaning.  What an honor.  I really enjoy painting works that I know from the get go will resonate with the owner.  This has been a favorite aspect of the pet portraits.  I know something is going to a home, setting the bar higher.  This gets the creative juices flowing and its always nice to have someone come into my art making bubble.

The symbol as far as I know is a Buddhist sanskrit meaning "Lotus".  And as an article my friend shared with me, the lotus in buddhism represents the journey of the "soul from the material body that is the mud through the waters of experience to the sunshine of enlightenment".


Finished piece
The largest piece of the year at 48" x 36".  I was amazed at how many tubes of paint went into this.

No comments:

Post a Comment